A total of 300 Boko Haram members have been killed, while 223 have surrendered after massive attacks by the members of the Islamic State of West African Province (ISWAP).
According to Zagazola Makama, a publication focused on the Lake Chad region, about 443 Boko Haram terrorists and their family members who escaped attacks by ISWAP fighters surrendered to the multinational joint task force (MNJTF).
Between March 7 and March 10, 2023, 223 Boko Haram members were said to have surrendered in Diffa and Gueskerou in the Republic of Niger.
Also, another 220 members of the terrorist group surrendered to the troops of Operation Hadin Kai on March 10.
According to the report, the fleeing members revealed that the ongoing rivalry between the different factions of the terrorist group resulted in the need to escape to safer areas.
“Since February 27, 2023, Boko Haram had been fleeing their enclaves amidst deadly attacks targeted at the groups in Gaizuwa, otherwise known as Mantari, Gabchari, Kashimiri, Maimusari in Bama, Yale in Konduga and Magumeri, by their former allies now turned bitter adversary,” the report reads.
“In one of the attacks led by three notorious ISWAP commanders, comprising Mallam Abubakar Maina, Qaed Malam Dahiru, Qaed Mallam Dahiru in Guzamala, over 200 Boko Haram militant jihadists, including their women and children were eliminated.
“The onslaught against the group continued on the 8th of March 2023, when more than 100 of them were killed in the fringes of Baga, Marte and Dikwa. This time, the terrorists targeted only the men, sparing their families.”
Zagazola further said the passing week has recorded massive displacement of several groups and families of terrorists leaving the Sambisa forest for Lake Chad on the Niger side.
Commenting on the development, Musa Danmadami, director of defence media operations, Defence Headquarters (DHQ), placed the number of surrendered Boko Haram members within the last two weeks at 1,332.